Monday, May 24, 2010

No Regrets

Funny, isn't it? How such "big" decisions are so easy? Or is that just me? I mean, nearly 6 months ago, with a click of a button, I made a split-second off-the-cuff decision to buy a ridiculouly cheap ticket and go to vietnam. One of the best decisions of my life I'd say!

Well, now I've done pretty much the same thing. I have just purchased another ticket. This time cold wet England is the destination I'm heading off to. The only difference is that, this time I am actually letting people know that I am going 2 months in advance rather than 2 days in advance....

At the moment in my parents house in Springwood, there is a piece of paper sitting on the coffee table, with some details about a prophecy that we all individually received while living in Africa. I remember this particular day, I was told that I was fearless in crossing nations and boundaries, instant in and out of season. I guess that is true. Moving is easy, its staying thats hard.

So, back to where I started.. let me fill you in on how this all eventuated. I am interested in working in developing countries as a dietitian. I've applied to a few different NGO positions over the past year or so, but most of them want more experience, or further qualifications. I've been thinking about doing a masters in International Public Health and because I didnt know where I'd be located, had planned to do it by correspondence. I had actually filled out most of the paperwork before I went to Vietnam in February, but forgot to send it in the end! I'd been looking at Curtin University, but the 4 years FULL TIME masters put me off a little bit... So last week I had a look at what Sydney Uni had to offer as a friend last year had told me you could do public health at USYD.

Syd Uni did have a MSc Int Public Health, but because I'd be starting mid-year, there are quite a few subjects I wouldn't be able to do because the pre-requisites are in the first semester. Then, mid week I had a random thought about studying internationally. I hadnt really ever thought about that before. I had always wanted to do an exchange at either school or uni, but it never really happened at any point. So I did what any good uni student does... I googled what uni courses there are in the UK!

I came up with a list of about 24 different degrees around the UK. But, the first and most important and definitely the most relevant that I found, was at the University of Westminster in London. They have a 1 year MSc in International Public Health and Nutrition. Perfect! Its even focusing on the area that I work in and am interested in. I'm applying there, and if I get in, thats what I'll be doing from September. But I am moving in July and working in the hospitals there for a couple of months first.

So I am now stepping out in faith a bit. I have no money (ie I am currently selling the few things I do own), and no definite direction about what is happening next. But I know God is in control and he is watching over everything I do, He will make the most of it and use whatever happens to his glory.

There are many things wrong in the world. But things will never change if no one actually does anything about it. I want to make a difference with my life. I'm not sure exactly how I'm going to manage that, but that's what I want to do. I saw this quote somewhere the other day and thought it was pretty cool:

Be the change you want to see in the world

Mahatma Gandhi.

No comments:

Post a Comment