Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Welcome to 20 12

(courtesy of my sister!)
Hello twenty-twelve, or is it two thousand and twelve?! Every year we go around wishing people a happy new year asking how they passed the minutes down as the years change hands. A year ago I was in Dubai and saw fireworks shooting up and down the worlds tallest building with thousands of people crowded about and walking along the jammed freeways to get home. Other years I have experienced the fireworks in Sydney Harbour, spent the time dancing playing guitar and singing around a campfire on the beach in Gerringong and watched fireworks being set off in the Zambian rain.

Different countries and cultures often have different traditions for good luck over the New Year period. In Japan Bonenkai "forget-the-year" parties are held to forget the troubles, grudges, concerns and misunderstandings of the previous year are held. A Spanish tradition is to eat 12 grapes at midnight to secure twelve happy months ahead. 

This year I experienced a quieter and enjoyable English New Year in Liverpool with friends. In the minutes counting down to 2012 we put all our coats on, stocked up on our party poppers and stood in the street to count it down. There were some fireworks coming out of back yards in the surrounding neighbourhood and then we all joined hands with some merry strangers walking up the street to sing Auld Lang Syne. I know the tune to this song but not one single word! Thankfully I wasn't alone in my random la-la-laaaaing as no one else really seems to know it all either!!

I looked it up and apparently it is a Scottish song first published in the 1700s talking about friendships and relationship, and auld lang syne means times gone by. It became a tradition at New Years Eve in 1929 in New York. The song asks whether old friends and times will be forgotten and promises to remember people of the past with fondness. It talks about how good times and memories shared have been divided by time and distance but there is alway time to get together. I think this is actually quite appropriate thing to start the year around really, recogising the past and looking forward to the future, focusing on the important aspects of life - those around us.


Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And never brought to mind?
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
And auld lang syne.

CHORUS:
For auld lang syne, my dear,
For auld lang syne, 
We'll tak a cup of kindness yet, 
For auld lang syne! 
 
With a new year everyone tends to go around making plans and resolutions to improve themselves in one way or another. I don't know what 2012 will bring for me, or for those around me, but I plan to make it one where I face my demons, learn who I am, what I want and strengthen the friendships and relationships in my life. 


1 comment:

  1. mine was defintely a lot tamer than yours! I was in bed, watching all 10 episodes of Torchwood: Miracle Day! LOL. well, that and a bottle of wine by the bedside. I think I might be turning into an alcoholic!

    ReplyDelete