Thursday, September 23, 2010

traditions


I thought I might write something a bit different, about traditions and familiarity. It is interesting how things that are familiar to you can be slightly unnerving or uncomfortable when they are in a different method or layout than you are 'used' to.

I've managed to go to church the last 2 Sundays, in very different locations and had communion at both services. The first weekend I went to Sam's parents' church for the Holy Communion service at a very traditional Church of England. This service initially brought me to think about writing this particular blog entry.

Last weekend I happened to be in London and made it (just as there was a 15 minute metro delay which almost made me late) to Stephen Fox's church. I'm 99.99% this is an Anglican church. It was interesting as well because Ben Andison was also around so quite strange to have 3 ex-mountains people catching up in the middle of London... guess those sorts of things happen. It brought back memories of when the three of us were on the same kids club group back in Winmalee.

Anyway, getting back on topic.. Duing the communion services I found it both familiar and unnerving at the same time, and it made me wonder why - particularly at the COE service. For example, at my church back in Australia - Springwood Baptist - communion is a once a month event where the bread and juice is set up on tables up the front where you individually in your own time go to grab some bread and a little cup of juice (which is likely to then contribute to landfill, but that's another story again).

St Bees church service was very rigid and traditional, following the book and being led by the minister. We stood up in our rows and went up to the front where we knelt and were given a communion wafer and drank from a shared cup of what I believe is port. London's communion service everyone stayed in their seats and were passed around with trays of neatly cut squares of white bread and a communal cup of port. Alcohol in church!! Nothing too extreme really.

It made me think though, why does something like this that I have grown up with, often make me feel uncomfortable just because of a slightly different method? Essentially it is the same meal, conducted in another way.

Luke 22:19

And he took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is my body given for you; do this in remembrance of me."

Random food for thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment